Friday night, I spent at home watching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days with a tub of Dreyer’s Rocky Road ice cream. The movie came out in 2003 – can’t believe it’s been almost 20 years! I haven’t seen the movie before but have heard great things about it. I love watching romance (especially high school romance), comedy, and of course, romantic comedy.
The movie was so cute. Personally, I think the storyline was bad, but Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey worked so well together that it makes me giddy! There were a few good moments where I laughed out loud because the characters were so ridiculous, but I think that’s what made this movie great. It’s so lighthearted and what I needed on a night that I want to spend by myself.
Inspired by the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, I wanted to share my version of How to Lose a Girl in 10… Ways! If you do any of these, you’ll definitely lose a girl in less than 10 days. These were things that have happened to me on dates, ick!
Here is my version of How to Lose a Girl in 10 Ways:
- Tell a girl you’re surprised that she’s letting you pay for the bill after you offered. I mean, if you’re going to offer to pay for dinner, I’m not going to fight you for the bill. Don’t offer something if you don’t mean it!
- Ask her to pick you up on the second date because you got a really good parking spot at your apartment, so you don’t want to lose it. You have to move your car eventually, right?
- Take a girl (who doesn’t know anything about golf) to TopGolf on your first date and tell her that you’re surprised she didn’t comment on how good your golf swing is. I didn’t know what a good or a bad golf swing looks like!
- As you’re about to kiss her, freak out and tell her that you’ve never kissed a girl before. Please don’t do this, it’s just awkward.
- Ask her if she’s rich. What does this even mean? How do you define rich? I can take care of myself, thank you very much.
- Compare her to your ex-girlfriend. She might give you some wiggle room if you accidentally bring up your ex-girlfriend, but there’s no wiggle room if you compare her to your ex!
- Message her on your business Instagram account after she ignores you on your personal Instagram account. Excuse me, how unprofessional!
- Tell her that your mom doesn’t like her. You told your mom about her because you’re a momma’s boy. She finds my blog and concludes that I’m not good enough for her son without even meeting me first!
- Violate her HIPAA because you needed to make sure she wasn’t “hiding anything from you”. You work as a pharmacy technician at CVS and searched her up on the database to make sure she was clean… What in tarnation…
- Ask her what kind of Asian she is, and then tell her that your baby momma is also Asian, and your daughter is half-Asian. Some things are better to wait until the third date to bring up.
Unless the girl you’re seeing is in some sort of a bet or doing a social experiment for a column (or a blog post), you can guarantee that doing these things will lose a girl.
This was so much fun to write and to reminisce about first dates! Maybe my next post will be How to Go from Having an Amicable Breakup to Being Blocked. I do have more experience dealing with horrible breakups than with horrible first dates.