I’m a crazy cat mom. It’s official.
Growing up, I was always afraid of cats. This most likely stemmed from our neighbors getting a nasty scar on his arm from a cat. I was 5 years old and as a result of that story, I thought cats were EVIL. Also, I mostly grew up with dogs – a lot of dogs. For instance, we had Under, Over, Barney, Angel, Under #2, CoCo, Yokie, and Bumi. I know I know. The names are kind of strange – don’t ask who came up with them, haha. Anyway, who knew I was going to be a cat mom?
Henry is Turning 12!
Today is Henry’s birthday. Hmm, how does one celebrate a cat? Birthday party? Candlelit dinner? Before you judge me and tell me that Henry’s going to forget about it the next morning – the same thing can be said about a kid’s one-year birthday! It’s for the parents, you know? Celebrating Henry’s birthday is mostly just for me and my pleasure only.
Anyway, I’m just kidding. We aren’t doing anything for Henry’s birthday, even though this is my first year with him on his birthday – again, he probably doesn’t know nor does he really care. Words can’t express how much I love him. He’s the sweetest cat ever and I love how he always runs to the door whenever I get home.
Henry the Cat
In celebration of Henry’s birthday, I wanted to do some fun facts about Henry. I figured, there’s so many of you who don’t know much about Henry other than he has a crazy cat mom – me (and a crazy eye).
Here are 7 fun facts about Henry!
- Henry is a New Yorker! He is from the streets of Brooklyn. I know, I’m pretty jealous too. I wish I was a New Yorker. Maybe someday…
- My boyfriend, Tyler, who lived in New York for most of his life, adopted Henry from the ASPCA on May 31, 2015. The ASPCA was the first humane society established in North America and is currently one of the largest in the world.
- Henry is blind in his left eye. We’re not exactly sure what happened, but word on the streets is, things got nasty between him and his neighbors in Brooklyn. I guess what happens in Brooklyn stays in Brooklyn. In all seriousness, the vets believed his eye was clawed by another cat during his time on the streets.
- When Tyler first adopted Henry, he weighed a whopping 21 pounds. For context, Bombay cats typically weigh 8-15 pounds. Technically, Henry was about the size of 3 small cats. Update on his weight loss journey: he’s a healthy 16.5-pound quarterback.
- Before Henry was adopted and renamed, his first name was Barack. It makes sense since Henry’s 12, so he was born in 2008 – the year Obama was elected. Background on the name Henry: Tyler’s dad always jokingly called him and his brother Henry when he couldn’t remember their names. Tyler always wanted to have a child named Henry. However, since he does not have kids, a cat child had to do.
- You can always find Henry laying in the sun or near the window. He loves the sun. I’m surprised he hasn’t gotten sunburnt yet. My friend, Paloma, has a cat named Emma that was recently sunburn.
- If Henry could talk, his biggest lie would most likely be “I haven’t eaten yet”. There’s one thing that Henry loves and that is food! To Henry, the limit does not exist. That cat can eat like no other.
I hope you all enjoyed these 7 fun facts about Henry.
Do you have any pets? If so, are you a crazy pet parent like me? Let me know!